Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bogota

21/7 Thankfully I slept all the way to Bogota (12 hrs), I was wrecked after the night before and then the day trip. Now that Im going south Im hitting the different climates along the way. Up untill now its been like Iv been on my summer holidays..... not any more!! Bogota has weather similar to home, Its rainy, cold and sunny all at the same time. The saying going that in Bogota you only have to wait twenty minutes before the weather changes.... and its true!

I stayed at the Ctanky Croc in the Candelaria area of town. Bogota is a dangearous city. Iv heard so many reports about robberies here that it did make me uneasy. But like anywhere if you stay in the right areas, dont flash your cash and get taxies at night you will be fine. I arrived at about 10ish, so after I got sorted I headed out to explore. Like I said I was nerveous but I think a lot of talk can do that to you and that in the end you have to figure things out for yourself and make up your own mind!

Bolivar Square was my first stop, ita the area with the presidents house, the courts etc. A nice spot. Next I stumbled up the Botero Museum..... remember the fat people from Medellin?!!! All his paintings and sculptures were under the one roof. I have to say I thought it was one of the best art museus Iv been in. There was also a few Picassos there and the dubs wernt left out as there was a piece by Francis Bacon.




I had read on the internet that there was a great bike tour you could do that takes you around the city and I decided to go check it out. I arrived just as a tour was about to start so I hopped on a bike and off I went. I havent been on a bike in about 10 years.... and yeah it took a while to get used to! There was only two of us on the tour along with our guide Juan. IT WAS BRILLIANT! He brought us everywhere and anywhere; A bullring (where he goes to protest when there are matches on!), an amazing fresh fruit and veg market (where I had a fruit salad with cheese and honey!), a coffee brewers (delicious) and a million other places! The tour didnt finish till 6ish so I was wrecked by the end of it. Had a bit of dinner and crashed on the couch, its all I was fit for!



22/7

Michelle my ozzie mate from Taganga was in Bogota with Sammie her travel buddy so I arranged to meet up with them and Sherrie another girl from Taganga. The girls came down to my hostel and we decided to go check out Monserrate. This is a holy mountain that over looks Bogota which you travel to by cable cars. The cable car up was no where near as impressive as the ones in Medellin but it was still fun.
We hung out at the top for a while untill it started to rain. It was pub time. Spent the rest of the day hanging out and then went for dinner. The lashing rain is a de motivator to do stuff and we spent the night crashed out in from of a DVD.

23/7
CHILL OUT DAY!!! And even better pamper day..... Only went and treated myself to a mani/pedi.... ha Sorry Im a backpacker am I? :P Agh and I bumped into the crazy Canadian Lina fro Cartagena today too!! Shes staying at Crank... Shes wants e to hook her up with my bro in Vancouver so she can cook him dinner!! Ya up for that Col?!

The hostel I was staying in was pretty cool and every night or day there was something on. As it was Saturday there was a party bus to Andres Carnes De Res. This is the most talked about club in Bogota and I was defo on boards this party bus to check it out!! 40 people were on the bus it was mental. The club its self was UNREAL. I actually cant put it into words... Alice In Wonderland on acid might describe the decor!
Here take a look: http://www.google.ie/search?q=andres+carnes+de+res&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7RNRN_en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=sn8uTp3LHoPQgAeAkLl-&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBAQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=394

Anyway mad mad mad night had by everyone!

24/7

DYING. Spent the day on the couch with the rest of the hostel who were all in bits. Then went to meet the girls for some lovely hangover grub in the local Irish bar HAHA.....


Unfortunatly both myslef and Michelle and Sammie would be going our seperate ways in the morning :( The girls are off to Cuba, and I Peru....

And thats it.... My Colombian adventure is over :( Im going to miss it, I could easily spend the rest of my two months in this country. Its beautiful and Iv met some super people along the way. But the adventure must continue....
Next stop Cusco, Peru

(Ah I cant believe I caught up! Im still sitting in starbucks in Lima Airport, Its now 4.07am... tie to go check in)







2 comments:

  1. Hi I am travelling to Colombia Solo in June and my first stop is Bogota. Was the cranky croc a good hostel to meet other solo travellers? Your stories are getting me very excited to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Yea the Cranky Croc was good. Good location, good security and the staff were very helpful.
    They run a different event there every night so meeting people wasn't a problem! Don't worry you will be amazed when you get there how many people are flying solo!!
    Any more questions feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete